6.01.2005

street meat

In New York, there are two kinds of street meat:

1) The men and women of the city who receive stares, hoots, hollers, whistles, cat-calls, mental undressing, gropes, molestations, and sexual solicitations on the streets on a daily basis.

2) The "greek" lamb, chicken, or beef you can get with yellow or brown rice, onions, and white and/or hot sauce (all for just $3.75!) from a little metal shack on wheels located on the sidewalk every 2 blocks or so in busy corporate neighborhoods.

Today for lunch, I had a little of both.

First, the phone call with my typical lunch buddy who we'll call Enrique:
Me: (dialing.)
Enrique: "Yes?"
Me: "I'm hungry. Are you hungry?"
Enrique: "Is it lunchtime?"
Me: "Yes. I'm hungry."
Enrique: "Okay, where should we go today?"
Me: "I don't know. Where do you want to go?"
Enrique: "I want chicken from across the street. I saw someone get it, so I want it."
Me: "What do you mean 'across the street'? Where?"
Enrique: "You know, across the street. If you don't want it, we can walk. You can get a sandwich or some pizza. Do you want pizza?"
Me: "I don't know. What do you want?"
Enrique: "Chicken from across the street. Do you want that?"
Me: "I don't know. Sounds risky. I'm afraid of street meat?"
Enrique: "What?"
Me: "Street meat."
Enrique: "What are you saying? String beans?"
Me: "STREET. MEAT."
Enrique: "Treat me?"
Me: "S T R E E T. M E A T!!!"
Enrique: "Just meet me at the elevator."

So anyhow, Enrique and I got in the elevator, went down and outside, where we realized it's actually a bit chilly outside. But he pointed at the metal cart with orange panels, and the two soup-nazi-esque men coordinating orders.

"Street meat," I told him.
"Oh, is that what you were saying? You talk too fast. You left out the S."
"Um, I don't think I did, but whatever. Let's walk."

So we walk quickly around the block, where I decide that I too will try the street meat. This, for me, is a Very Big Risk. Due to various allergies and intolerances, new foods are very scary to me. But I decide to try it anyway, and chance the visit from the EDF. So we round the block, chatting, and that's when I saw the other street meat:

Enrique: "...so my wife then says that we should definitely look into the new apartment..."
Me: "WOW."
Enrique: "...and I am supposed to call the lady today and tell her we want it..."
Me: "That guy is HOT."
Enrique: "...I'm not sure if we can move right away or if we need to take a few more weeks..."
Me: "Holy SHIT. Did you SEE him?" (looking now over shoulder at delicious bald black man)
Enrique: "...because it depends on whether we can get out of our current lease..."
Me: "DAMN. He was FINE."
Enrique: "...but I think we will be fine if I just speak to the landlord...do you want chicken?"

And thus I ordered chicken on yellow rice, with onions (yumm), and white sauce/hold the hot. And I ate it. And it was tasty. And it's been approximately 48 minutes and there's no sign of intestinal disruption. YET.

But I still think I should have taken my chances with the delicious bald black man instead--no hot sauce necessary.

6 comments:

Shafter79 said...

Random Blogging

Anonymous said...

That was entertaining...thanks sis!

Anonymous said...

So that Street Meat Vendor is safe then? I've been curious but have been afraid to try it.

You should have ordered the Bald guy.

Anonymous said...

Shitter79:

Yes its random blogging...is there a problem?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Shafter79, why are you reading such "random blogglng"?

Anonymous said...

Shitter79 is an idiot...keep up the random blogging NYCITYGAL...

Oh and Shitter79, I read your "random blogging page" - get a hooker, you'll have better luck there.