11.29.2004

it takes so little...

Here I am, sitting at work on the Monday morning after a 4-day weekend. Like millions of other Americans, I'm miserable to be here.

I've actually been hard at work since the minute I got here, which was about 20 minutes late thanks to some seriously delayed subway traffic. I have been hard at work tearing apart the boring tables of contents for the boring books I edit, trying not to think about the presentation I have due for class tomorrow that is far from complete, and also trying to drown out the grumble of my poor, hungry stomach.

So basically, I'm cranky. Not far-gone cranky that is only repairable by alcohol and sleep, just the semi-fussy Monday morning blah cranky that often causes me to become introverted and quiet until I find some random thing to spike my serotonin and cheer me up. Sometimes it's a song, sometimes it's a silly website, sometimes it's another person. Problem is...I never know what it will be until it happens.

So here I am, cranky-fussy, and hungry. Then it occurs to me I have a banana in my bag that I can eat. This helps a little, even though the banana is not quite as ripe as I like it (no green on the peel, and a few brown spots). So I peel the banana, take a bite, and proceed to read the boring books. And then...it happened.

I HAVE PEANUT BUTTER! In a joyous flash of brilliance, I realize I have a jar of peanut butter in my desk drawer and it would be absolutely fantastic on my banana, reminiscent of the sandwiches my grandmother used to make me when I was a kid (on toasted wheat bread, complete with a glass of Market Basket brand orange soda, all placed strategically to optimize viewing of Bob Barker on The Price Is Right). I dig out the jar, I dig out a knife, and I carefully spread just the right amount of peanut butter (just right = as much as I can) on the banana, and take a bite.

Mmmm. Sweet savior, my peanut butter and banana. Either without the other is only moderately enjoyable. But both together? So damn good. Today I am saved. Saved from myself, saved from the pains and miseries of Monday mornings. I am saved.

No comments: