10.09.2004

dangers of night-time strolls in New York

The other night, I was walking home fairly late down a dimly-lit street. As I was walking, it occurred to me that this might be a vulnerable situation for me. Single young woman walking the city streets at night?

Well, about 12 seconds later I realized the REAL risk. I wasn't worried about someone jumping out of the darkness to mug or attack me. I was worried that in the darkness, I couldn't see the dog shit so I could avoid it.

Even on the brightest of days, I walk with my head down. Am I sad? No. Self-esteem problems? No. I am trying very hard not to step in dog shit. These idiot people with their poopy dogs...WHY don't they pick up after them? The whole time I'm walking (during the day) I can see smears where someone stepped in a pile of crap, and then the 3 or 4 subsequent dragged-foot strides they took to wipe it back off.

But at night? Oh, so so risky. Shadows are cast by blowing leaves under street lights. In a moment, a dark spot appears beneath your potential footfall. You must decide--instantly--whether to plant your foot or make an emergency sidestep that could result in a loss of balance or ankle injury...or worse--another pile of dog shit.

So I'm thinking I might start walking with a flashlight. That way, if for some reason my sharp smelling abilities should fail me, I can walk down the sidewalk with just a little more piece of mind over a piece of crap.

No comments: