4.22.2005

finally, a challenging assignment at work.

It's no big secret that I don't love my job. I mean really, who does? Well I particularly don't. It's boring as hell, and even though I'm capable of doing the work, it essentially puts me to sleep. So I'm always trying to stay awake by finding more interesting things to do, like read the news or my horoscope or get a root canal.

Well today someone gave me a puzzle from the newspaper. It's kinda like a crossword for digits. It's called "Su Doku," which is either Japanese, or wannabe Japanese. The New York Post published one of these puzzles, and got such an overwhelming response, that today they printed two of them: one easy, and one hard. All it took was the slightest tease. a subtle taunt, by my boss's boss. After a quick trip to the copy machine, I was off and running with my little Su Doku.

I did the easy puzzle to warm up. It took 5 minutes. Then I stretched and went after the harder one. I figured it would be a nice "break" for me while I finished my lunch. (See, how sad that actually thinking critically is a welcomed change of pace during my breaks.)

An hour later, I had made so many scribble and erasure marks that I'd lost track of everything. I brought it to boss-squared, and indicated my obsession. He said he'd given up, and I said "I'm not giving up until I finish this thing. I'll have nightmares about being attacked by a giant number 2 if I don't." Then I scrambled for a fresh sheet of paper to start clean, and went back to my desk.

Boss-squared couldn't resist the challenge, and he too lobbied for a fresh start. I used all my skill and logic to process the rows and columns of digits, eliminating figures and drafting new ones. I moved this time with swift ease and calm, and felt smart and happy like the day I outscored MathBoy by 4 points on the BC Calculus Final Exam in 1997 (clearly a moment never to be forgotten). And as I wound down filling in the last few boxes, my heart pounded in my chest. I'm....almost....done....and....

"GOT IT!" I yelled over the beige cubicle wall. Like a child who scribbled their name for the first time with a crayon on lined paper, I proudly bolted over to the Holder of the Answer for approval, even though I KNEW I'd done it right. Over her shoulder I compared numbers with her, row after row after row. When we reached the end, she smiled and said "Yup, you got it!"

I jumped, I danced, I smiled. I pleaded for a sticker and an A+, or at least a check+, on my silly Su Doku test. But in the end, I just got back my paper, and with it the gratification of knowing I'd done it right.

I then wondered if there was a job somewhere where I could do this for a living and get paid for it, instead of sitting here contemplating whether I should slowly gouge out my eyeballs with chopsticks, because even THAT is more interesting than what I get paid to do.

Anyhow, I finished the puzzle, and fully intend to take it home and hang it on my fridge to remind myself that I am--or was at one time--actually fairly intelligent and mathematical and useful to the greater world. Or maybe I should put it in my portfolio, next to my Final Exam from 1997, complete with the teacher's giant smiley face and "Great Job!"

Nah, definitely the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should consider designing something like the good old Rubik's Cube, and call it Luffy's Cube, and make a small fortune!